Commercial Business

Commercial Business2020-11-02T10:42:14-08:00

For businesses wishing to operate from a commercial location within the City of Rancho Mirage, a Use & Occupancy application must be completed and approved prior to the issuance of a Business License.

The application process consists of inspections and reviews conducted by Planning, Code Compliance, Fire, County Health Department (if applicable), and Building & Safety. These inspections may be required even if the location is currently or has been previously occupied. There is no fee for these inspections. Generally, it will take two weeks to complete this process.


Steps for starting a business in Rancho Mirage

The City of Rancho Mirage recommends that you consult the appropriate departments regarding any possible conditions and corrections associated with the commercial site (parking improvements, building permits, zoning requirements, etc.) prior to signing a lease.

Business License Ordinance § N° 5.04.020 prohibits you from conducting business until your Use & Occupancy certificate has been issued and a Business License payment accepted.

Once you complete the Use & Occupancy application and return it to the Business License office, it will be YOUR responsibility to contact the specific departments and schedule the on-site inspections. Again, there is no fee for these inspections. Please Note: we are able to accept a faxed or E-mailed copy for expediting purposes, but require that the original application be mailed or personally delivered to our office.

Along with your Use & Occupancy application, you must also submit copies of the following (if applicable):

  • Fictitious Business Name filing
  • State License
  • Health Department Permit
  • Beer, Wine or Liquor License

When the Business License Office has received all applicable reviews/inspection results, we will promptly notify you. At that point you will be required to complete the Business License Tax application and submit your payment. Please note: We cannot accept your Business License payment or application until your Use & Occupancy certificate has been issued to you by the City.

To check the status of your Use & Occupancy application please contact

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Go to Top